Sunday, April 6, 2008

Preliminary Building Program

Below is my first attempt at a building program for the new Bangor Arena and Civic Center. In developing this program, I attempted to analyze and reconcile information from 3 main resources. These are;
1.)The recommendations from CS & L's market feasibility study
2.)Program needs conveyed to me in a meeting with the present Facilities Manager, Mike Dyer (Thank you Mike!)
3.)Industry standards ("Architectural Graphic Standards," "Timesaver Standards for Building Types," and the "Architects Portable Handbook" to name a few)

According to this program, I am looking at a roughly 150,000 square foot facility. As a check, I scaled the footprint from the HOK conceptual designs and I got a positive result. HOK is using a building footprint of roughly 150,000 square feet as well and that is prior to any actual programming.

Below the program I have posted a bubble diagram which conveys basic spatial proportions and adjacencies as they stand right now.

This program is a first draft and remains flexible. While I am planning on using it to start thinking about my building design, I am asking members of my team, from both the City and the Design side, to review it and get back to me with comments and recommendations.


2 comments:

Anne McQuown said...

Hi Pete, looks like you are getting really close. I have only percentages. Have you considered a special space such as a library or gallery? Or an outdoor performance area?

Peter James DeIuliis said...

Annne....its great to hear from you!! There will definitely be some sort of outdoor performance area....every year, there is a huge music festival that takes place along the waterfront.... people from all over attend.. my design will definitely have to work well with that festival...